There’s an old saying that goes like this: if something can go wrong, sooner or later it will. And now you know why you and other home owners experience plumbing problems from time to time.
While your natural inclination might be to call a plumber as soon as a problem rears its ugly head, we have a counter suggestion: “Not so fast!” That’s because there are a few things you can do first to prevent the problem from getting worse.
- Locate the source of the problem – Do you hear the sound of running water – not a good sign if no one is using water at that time. If so, follow the sound to determine where it’s coming from. If the toilet is overflowing, turn off the toilet water valve. If you can’t pinpoint the source, shut off your main water valve. Now it’s time to call your plumber.
- Determine the extent of the problem – Is the problem one leaky tap or one that is more widespread? Also, how far has the damage gone? Answering these questions will help you determine what needs to be done next. If it’s the middle of the night, answering these questions will also help you determine if the problem can wait until morning.
- Remove valuables in the way of a water leak – If you can’t immediately stop a leak by shutting off a water valve, remove all valuable items that leaking water can reach, especially electronics.
- Try fixing it yourself – Not every clogged drain (for example) requires the services of a professional plumber. When plunging doesn’t work, try pouring boiling hot water down the drain. Or, mix together equal amounts of vinegar and baking soda, pour the mixture down the drain, and then, a half hour later, flush the drain with boiling hot water. If it doesn’t work the first time, it very often will with a second effort.
- Shut off the power supply – If you discover that your water heater is leaking, you can stop it by simply shutting off its power supply. For electric water heaters, turn off the power in the breaker box. Have a gas water heater? Turn the gas supply valve to the “off” position.
Okay, now that you’ve at least hit the “pause” button on your plumbing problem, it’s time to call a plumber to make the problem disappear. In and around Kalamunda, more and more people continue to contact Kalamunda Plumbing Group first. We’re the company that completes each task correctly the first time, guaranteed.