Have you ever noticed how much easier it is to save water during the winter vs. the summer? All winter long, it doesn’t take much extra effort to feel like a water conservation hero. But come the summer months, we find ways to excuse our little excesses here and there. And yet in the end, they remain nothing than excuses, and Australia continues to struggle with water conservation nationwide.
Today, we’re pleased to offer you several water-saving tips, some of which you may already be following. Still, even if you find and implement just one new measure, some good will have been accomplished.
Bathroom Water Savings
- You can save 4300 litres of water per year, per person, by turning off the water while you brush your teeth. Keep the hot water tap off while shaving, too, for even greater savings.
- Do you really need a 10-minute shower? For every minute you cut, you’ll save an additional 20 litres.
- While waiting for the shower water to get hot, place a bucket to catch the cold water that first pours from your showerhead. You can use it later to water your plants, indoors or out.
Kitchen Water Savings
- Instead of running the tap while you rinse vegetables or wash dishes by hand, put the stopper in your sink, fill it up, part way, and then rinse or wash. You can accomplish the same goal by filling up a large pan.
- Only run your dishwasher when it’s full.
- Fill a pitcher of water and place it in your fridge. Then you won’t have to run your cold water tap until the temperature is just right each time you want a nice cold drink.
Garden Water Saving Tips
- How about washing your car on the lawn for a change so you can clean your car and water the grass at the same time.
- Cover your soil and plants with mulch to prevent them from drying out.
- Add compost and manures to your soil to enrich its water-retention capacity.
- Next time you feel the urge to add more plants to your garden, seek out drought tolerant varieties. There are abundant options to choose from.
Here’s another water-conservation idea: contact Kalamunda Plumbing today or any time to ask about water-saving replacement plumbing fixtures. We have a wealth of ideas to share with you, and the experience and commitment to install each one to your complete satisfaction.